Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Grilled fish tacos

We love fish tacos and used to make a regular visit to a local restaurant to enjoy the tasty
Baja California specialty.

I decided to try making fish tacos myself the other night and they turned out delicious! I used talapia because that was what I have in my freezer, but you can use other types of fish. Many recipes call for mahi mahi or halibut. I also grilled my fish after marinating but you could also broil or fry your fish.

Here is the recipe...the marinade alone is terrific on the fish. You could just eat the fish alone (minus the tacos) and it would still be delicious!

Ingredients:

1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp cumin powder (I just used half since I am not crazy about too much cumin)
1 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 Tbsp oregano
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 six ounce pieces of white fish
Flour tortillas (10-inch diameter)
1/3 C mayonnaise
1/3 C sour cream
1 tsp fresh lime juice
Diced tomato
Shredded cabbage or lettuce (we used lettuce)
Monterey Jack cheese or Mexican cheese

Combine lime juice, oil, cumin, chili powder, oregano, and pepper and stir well. Add fish to marinade and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.

Prepare fish taco white sauce:
Combine mayo, sour cream and lime juice together. Refrigerate until ready to serve tacos.

Dice tomato, shred cabbage or lettuce.

Prepare grill (medium-high heat) and oil the rack so the fish does not stick. Place fish on hot grill and cook 4-5 minutes per side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.

While fish is cooking, wrap tortillas in foil and place on grill (I would place on upper rack since ours burnt next to the fish.)

When fish is done, assemble tacos. Flake fish with a fork. Spoon fish into center of tortilla and top with cheese, cabbage or lettuce, and white sauce.
Serve a side of fresh lime if you desire and enjoy!

No comments: