Friday, January 8, 2010

Our great cake adventure

I waited until the last minute to figure out what I was going to do for Ryan's birthday cake. So yesterday (morning at least!) I called around to the usual grocery stores to price out their Star Wars themed cakes.

After realizing that I was not going to get a cake for less than $20-something dollars, I decided that I would undertake the task myself.


So this morning I baked the cakes needed to create a Star Wars cake and of course the girls helped with clean-up as evidenced in the photos above...

My Obi-Wan and Anakin (turning Darth Vader) dueling scene turned out pretty good I thought.


Plus, you can't beat chocolate cake with chocolate icing with chocolate Hershey pieces on it! Did I mention we are on a health kick in our house? No, we really are!


Ryan got home from school and saw his cake and I must say, I got the EXACT response I was looking for! He was so excited and named the lava planet they were fighting on by name. Of course, I said, "What??? What are you talking about?"

He just stood there staring at his cake for a good 20 minutes or so and then followed me around the house asking about how I got the idea for the cake (must say, I found the idea from another mom on-line).

And then he said excitedly (which for the record, he says every year): "This is the best birthday EVER!"

Happy 8th birthday, Ryan!

No comments: