Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Velveteen Rabbit

I received a copy of Margery Williams' book The Velveteen Rabbit on my 7th birthday from my Aunt Jackie. The book cover looks almost identical to the one shown above. It is almost 30 years old now and although well taken care of throughout the years, it is certainly showing its age.

I loved the book and it always made me cry thinking about the poor little stuffed rabbit that just wanted to be loved. I passed the book on to my oldest, Ryan, who just happens to be 7-years-old now himself and we read the book together tonight before bedtime.

It was heartwarming to see the same old story work its magic and have the same effect on him. After finishing the story and tucking him into bed, Ryan clutched at his stuffed giraffe blankie (yes, he is a 7-year-old that still sleeps with his blankie. I just haven't had the heart to break it away from him yet!)

As he held his giraffe, he said to me, "My giraffe blankie is Real. I love her so much (yes, it is a her for some reason.) When I am sick, Giraffe is always at the end of my bed and she is always there for me."

I'm glad that he is still a child that believes in nursery magic and the possibility of loved toys transcending into something Real.

No comments: